Old September 24th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

Rereading what I wrote, the second to last sentence doesn't say what I really meant. I should have said:

It's the low altitude reliability of satellite trackers that makes them the perfect compliment to the high bandwidth of OGN and ADS-b which will drop out at low altitude and when landed.

There is also one more mode of tracking that can also work at high bandwidth - phone tracking. Like other ground based systems it suffers dropouts (more so than ADS-b in my experience with it). The beauty of the phone tracking app is that it doesn't require expensive avionics. The phone tracking system seems to have lost favor. I'm not sure if it's still supported.