Old April 10th 21, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Default Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

One of the many questions that most of us purist ask examines the phycological and psychical differences in individuals that fly Motorgliders vs purist. I do think that the motorglider fliers should certainly be considered for a much different score system compared to the true real purist. So, would testosterone levels or lack of those levels have a contribution to the number of motorglider sailplane pilots.

I sailed a "pure" 30ft sailboat for 10 years. On and off the mooring, even on and off docks only under sail. Not once did I boast about it, or consider myself superior to "motorsailors". I just didn't have an auxiliary. It is a direct parralel. I kept the boat in a tidal river so some times I could not "launch" and needed to wait for wind and tides to be favorable. Some times I risked a late return or perhaps a retrieve. It did develop some good skills but none that couldn't be developed by simply not using an available auxiliary. Somthing I practiced in larger boats often. I find it interesting that you never hear this same discussion amongst sailors.

I flew a "pure" sailplane for 18years. Missed many a good day when I could not get a tow. Missed flying from sites that did not have tows (getting more and more). In retirement I traded up to a Ash-31. I miss the simplicity of my 304, but love the fact that my soaring commute is half what it was.. I have had great trips out west to wonderful locations that dont have towplanes. I fly it like a "pure" sailplane and only once have used its retreve capability.

I eventually added a 2hp honda to my etchells (sailboat) for all the same reasons. I can "launch" at will, and even retreve if nessasary. It cost money, added some complexity, increased maintenance, but did not increase criticism from my fellow sailors. More the opposite, what took you so long....