Old December 19th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On Dec 19, 9:35 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, "Peter R." said:

Why is it that here in the Northeast US seemingly no one preheats their
automobile engine before start-up in very cold temperatures? Is the long-term
damage the same for both autos and aircraft engines? If so, why do you
suppose auto owners don't typically do this? Is it because that most auto
owners do not keep their cars very long?

Aircraft engines are air cooled, auto engines are liquid cooled.

That may affect the time it takes for the oil to heat up but certainly
both engines start at the same temp. I think the question relates to
the lubrication ability of sluggish oil at start. In addition, I'm not
sure that an aircraft engine at idle really displaces much more heat
than a car engine with the thermostat closed in the cold. How much air
really moves over the cylinders of an idling aircraft engine?

-robert