Old September 8th 04, 09:50 PM
Mark

Really nice to have your range near by/adjacent to the airfield. For an
air-to-air guy with a training range very close, 140 hrs would have you
flying about every other day. That said there are lots of other things to
be done in terms of being 'current' in all aspects of the mission (even
air-to-air specialized units). In particular there would be instrument
flying requirements and air-to-air refueling missions. This eats into your
140 hrs; so the time actually spent honing your air-to-air skills would be
down to a couple of times a week. Still not BAD, but on the fringe (IMHO).

20hrs a month is a more realistic number to take care of all the bits n
pieces

For a mud-mover (F-15E, F-16 type) you'd be looking at needing more hours to
really keep proficient. Most missions average 2 hrs (rather than the 0.9 to
1.2 hr average for A2A)

Mark

"Urban Fredriksson" wrote in message
In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

Could I have stayed current in a jet fighter, flying about 140 hours a
year?

Usual NATO requirement is 180, but the Swedish air force
got a waiver from that because our training areas are much
closer to the airbases. So I'd say it's possible if you
can use them well.
--
Urban Fredriksson http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
1) What is happening will continue to happen

Oct 74