Old June 9th 04, 06:11 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:

My approach is as methodical as possible. I will perform chandelles at a
safe altitude until I know exactly what a particular glider is capable of.
I note the altitude gain at the 180 degree point and any variability in that
gain. I will deliberately fly the maneuver with the yaw string out of
center to see how forgiving the glider is to sloppy flying. Only when I am
certain that I know all of the gliders behaviors related to chandelles will
I even consider doing low pass. Then I look at the particular runway and
the options to abandon the maneuver with a landing in another area than
planned. (Dry lakes are great for practicing this.)

Dry lakes vary a lot: some of them are so large and featureless, it is
very difficult to tell how high you are when close to the surface.
Landings mean setting up a steady approach with a small amount of
spoiler, then waiting. At the last moment the cracks in the surface
suddenly become visible, giving just a fraction of a second for some
flare. Don't try low passes on this kind of lake!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA