Old April 20th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

Default Flight Time - Student ;)

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 19, 10:40 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Don W" wrote in message

.. .

Maxwell wrote:
I don't kill file anything, but I do delete it. There used to be some
really good discussions on here. What is your interest in rotorcraft?

I'm a long time fixed winger (c 1973) who started flying helicopters
two
years ago and loved it.

Except for the expensive hourly rate, I'd a lot rather be flying a heli
for sightseeing/pleasure flights. Of course, the fixed wing wins when
you
need to travel somewhere, or when the conditions are IFR.

The problem I've got right now is that the closest FBO with helicopters
for rent is more than an hours drive from my house. Also, as I've
learned
more about the R22, I've become a skeptic about its low-inertia rotor
system.

I got my FW PPL in 72 myself, but have yet to fly a helo. I have a school
just a few miles away with a Bell 47. Keep telling myself I'm going to do
it, even dropped by to see them a few years ago, but just never followed
up.
Interesting they give instruction, but don't carry insurance for rental.-

Where is the school with the Bell 47? Not many such schools left
anymore.

Allied Helicopter in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They bought up tons of 47 stuff in I
guess the 50s and 60s.

When I visited them a few years ago, their mechanic "said" they probably had
the largest stash of 47 parts in the world. The had four in the hangar, and
operational at that time. Two were for sale, one a resent customer, and one
they used for training. But he claimed they had parts for several more, but
wouldn't assemble them unless they had a customer. I don't know what their
status is today, I think the owner is well past retirement, but that's just
a guess. He also said at one time in the 60s or 70s, they contracted a lot
with governments in South America for spraying. IIRC, back then they had
about 15 Bell 47s working in North and South America. It was a very
interesting visit that lasted 2 or 3 hours. Seemed like really nice folks. I
do recall back in the 70s or so, it was a very busy operation. Today I think
they just offer instruction in the 47 and a Jet Ranger, and run charter in
the JR. But they don't carry insurance for rental in either bird.