Old June 19th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Emergency Landing-Engine DEAD

In article ,

On 2008-06-18, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most of the Bo (and other higher-performance singles) never practice
engine-out emergencies. They also tend to fly approach at far too-high
airspeed.

In the case of an engine out, a higher approach speed might be
necessary. IIRC, I used to be on short final in an S-35 Bonanza at 65
knots IAS with full flaps, but I had some power on. The S-35 manual
cautioned the pilot to approach 10 knots faster in the case of engine
failure, to have sufficient energy for the flare. The sink rate in a
power off approach is also higher, it really does look like the ground
is coming up to smite you. If you've never landed one power off before
this could be a bit startling and induce the pilot to flare too early.

--

That makes a lot of sense. The one time that I was along in a Bellanca
Viking for a radically reduced power approach, the descent rate and angle

Peter

I do it all the time in my Johnson Rocket. Approach at 80 mph, descent
indicated 2000-3000 fpm.

Come overhead at 160, break, pull power back during the break, slow to
100 mph gear/flap speed, drop the gear, hold 80 mph, turn tight base,
full flaps on final, start the flare about 30-50 ft, grease it on in a
full stall.

Yes, the ground DOES come up fast -- especially with a significant
headwind, but it all becomes routine with practice.