Old January 5th 04, 03:06 PM
Bill Daniels

Get an expensive carbide tipped screwdriver. The tip will stay sharp and
grab the Phillips heads without damaging them.

I loosen screws with the sharp driver and then power them out with a
electric screwdriver set to low torque so it won't damage the heads - do the
reverse to re-install.

Bill Daniels

"Larry Smith" wrote in message
Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you

don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows

the
head out, as you grunt and cuss. Then you have to pull out the old die
grinder and disc a groove in the dam* thing and go pull out your common
screwdriver. Last night taking off a set of wheelpants where corrosion
thrives, I had screw after screw frozen up and had to pull the compressor
out on the ramp several times --- cause it had to go back to the shop for

recharge.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.