Old January 5th 04, 07:12 PM
GeorgeB

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:23:56 -0500, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you I
don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows the
head out, as you grunt and cuss. Then you have to pull out the old die
grinder and disc a groove in the dam* thing and go pull out your common
screwdriver. Last night taking off a set of wheelpants where corrosion
thrives, I had screw after screw frozen up and had to pull the compressor
out on the ramp several times --- cause it had to go back to the shop for a
recharge.

Time to go to Allen screws. Yes. The entire Phillips head screw
population is held in contempt. They ought to be banned.

Rather than hex driver (Allen is a trademark for one of these), I
suggest Torx, even better.

Now for the removal problem ... Use a_GOOD_ driver, and tap it into
the screw to remove paint, crud, corrosion, etc, in the bottom. The
inserts for power drivers tend to be pretty good. I'm told that
somone makes a carbide or carbide coated driver that is really good.

BUT, my usual problem has been my, or earlier, damage because of
"stuff" in the screw.