Old February 8th 05, 06:09 PM
Gary Drescher

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
What is the reasoning behind full-stop landings for night currency?
If one performs stop-and-goes (presumably adequate to meet the FAR
requirement), there is no more night taxi experience gained than with
touch-and-goes. Is it a safety issue?

I've always assumed so (though I have no direct evidence). I imagine that
the FAA doesn't want to encourage pilots who lack recent night experience to
rush through a night-time touch-and-go, so they refuse to count
touch-and-goes toward the night-currency requirement. A stop and go does
give you more of a chance to verify that the flaps are retracted and that
the plane is otherwise configured for takeoff, and that you have enough
remaining runway length (although the full stop does use up some extra
length).

--Gary