Old November 23rd 04, 03:14 PM
Matt Whiting

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:28:11 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

I wasn't suggesting 45 degree bank angles, but going to 1.5 standard
rate isn't going to hurt anybody.

Keep in mind that if your outbound heading is 60 degrees off the FAC to
the left and your inbound heading needs to be 30 degrees off in the
other direction, you're making 270 degrees of heading change, which
takes a minute and a half at standard rate.

Well, you didn't mention limits. But maybe 1.5 standard rate won't do
it either. Then what? Twice standard rate?

Whatever you are comfortable with. I have no problem going to 40
degrees in the clouds and routinely practice steep turns under the hood
every few months. I actually fly better steep turns under the hood than
I do visually. Go figure...

In my opinion, going across the course is vastly preferable to
steepening up a turn in the clouds, especially when you don't practice
it a lot, and most pilots don't.

It depends on how steep. To me, it is very sloppy instrument flying to
blow across a course by half a mile because I'm afraid to increase bank
from 15 degrees to 30.

Matt