Old June 4th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default negative dihedral

In article ,
Tina wrote:

I understand how positive dihedral helps dynamic stability in
airplanes, but some big ones, like the Russian An 124 Condor, has a
pronounced negative dihedral -- the wings have a noticeable downward
slope.

Q1: Do those airplanes need active fly by wire controls to maintain
stability, or is something else at play that keeps them right side up?

Q2: Does anyone have a design rationalization for such a
configuration, as opposed to just zero dihedral? I can appreciate why
fighters have it -- they exploit lack of aerodynamic stability for
rapid maneuvers -- but transports that spend their whole life being
straight and level are another issue.

Note: I have not morphed into an Mx clone!

Don't know why, but don't those transports with negative dihedral also have
wings above the hull? So those aircraft have the CG below the wings.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)