View Single Post
Old April 15th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default How About Story Time

About 1996 or 1997 I was taking some primary instruction from Al Lambert with the Soaring Sooners out of David J. Peary airport in Goldsby Oklahoma, Just doing some pattern tows in the Clubs 2-33. Typical short flights and I was green enough to be struggling some. Oklahoma summers can be quite hot, and I remember after the two tows I could afford that day, I was kinda' done.
After the rollout, as Al and I prepared to push the 2-33 back to the hangar, Hank Clyburne, "handle bar Hank" walked out and Said to Al and Me, "That's enough sweating, Let me show you what Soaring is really about"
With that said, Hank told be to get back in the front seat and the tow was on him. He climbed in and Told me to relax and just watch. The tow was typical, But hank held on until we towed into a nice 4 knot thermal. As Hank released and centered the thermal the vario increased to 7-8 knots. As Hank circled and the glider gained several thousand feet the air temperature dramatically cooled.
We flew for about an hour, never getting too far from the field or low.
During the entire flight Hank was narrating what he was doing and sharing some of his extensive knowledge of the History of Soaring.
You see, Hank was the son of Marschall Clyburne and Hank was involved with Soaring his entire life, even being a teenager present in Marfa in 1968.
Hanks easygoing enthusiasm for all things Soaring 'set the hook' for me in a big way.
I will always be grateful that Hank took the time to share this sport with me.

Thanks Hank!
Scott