Old April 15th 20, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default How About Story Time

I was giving a commercial ride to an older gentleman who said that he used to fly power planes a long time ago and had also taken a scenic glider ride somewhere else before. Since our tow-plane was out of commission, we had to shift to our winch and I tried to explain to him how this works but it didn't seem to 'compute' with him.
The launch was as expected: hard acceleration, steep climb and about 30 seconds later, we released at around 1,600ft. He collected himself and said 'Wow - that was fast - and I didn't even see the tow-plane!'

One other time, I was giving a ride in a 2-33 to a retired airline captain in the front seat. It was a really rough day with some cross-wind and I worked hard to do a smooth landing. Upon roll-out, he said 'Ha - nothing to it! These gliders do land themselves!'

Uli
'AS'