Old June 6th 20, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Standalone artificial horizon

So you never thermal to cloud base? or Dolphin fly a cloud street?

It depends. VFR regs and cloud clearance limits are spelled out quite exactly. I prefer to maintain my legal right to not incriminate myself.

You seem to be looking for a way to do something that is not allowed by current regulations simply because the equipment is available. I have a car that will do 120+ mph. The speed limit is 75. If I get caught speeding, I pay the penalty. Arguing that the vehicle is capable of going that fast does not change the fact that speeding is a violation of the law or regulations.

I am not telling you what to do, if you ask the FAA for permission to fly in clouds in an aircraft rated for Day VFR and not fully IFR equipped, and not holding a current IFR certificate, you will probably be disappointed with their answer.

And getting them to change the regulations to allow something like this shouldn't consume more than the rest of your life.