Old March 22nd 04, 03:22 PM
Brad Z

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...
The frequency I called was the definitely the clearance delivery
frequency

As is the case at FCI. The controller is working both the approach
frequency and the CD RCO. You can hear him transmitting on both
frequencies.

for the uncontrolled field, not the approach control
frequency. However, now that you mention it, it seems quite possible
that the approach controller could have been the guy handling the CD
RCO frequency. However, that does not explain the strangeness of this
situation. Had he asked me to call FSS and left it at that, I would
not have considered that strange. But he asked me to call FSS OR call
approach once airborne, which implied that in order to give a
clearance on the ground I would have to file with FSS, but an airborne
clearance could be had without filing with FSS.

Could be a workload issue, or perhaps it's his *principle*. In his mind,
you're on the ground so there is no good reason you'd need to tie up his
radio time, off his approach control frequency, to get you in the system
while you're safe on the ground. Some controllers are more hard-ass about
this than others.

I understand the confusion over the phrase 'pop-up' so I will avoid
using that.

"Brad Z" wrote in message

It may not be a clearance delivery position. Here at FCI, the RCO puts

us
in contact with a Potomac Tracon controller, not the class C Richmond CD
controller located 11 miles away. Its the same guy who answers our

calls on
the departure frequency is the same guy answering the RCO for getting
clearances.

Of course it could be an incredible coincidence, with the CD controller
rotating from his CD position at the Richmond tower to the Tracon, 75

miles
away, during my run-up.

Brad Z.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"John Clonts" wrote in message

He's on the ground. CD says to him: "...contact approach
when airborne..."

Interesting. A clearance delivery position that won't deliver a

clearance
to an aircraft on the ground.