Old October 27th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default Declared first emergency last week

On Oct 25, 8:32 am, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
"BeechSundowner" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 8:44 pm, Dana M. Hague wrote:

Sounds like you handled the situation well, but it doesn't sound like
an "emergency". My understanding is that you declare an emergency
when you need assistance or clearance RIGHT NOW. In this case, you
weren't in any imminent danger;

Judgement call on the pilots part as you already know, but if you
can't control the engine, if that isn't an emergency, I don't know
what is. For all intent and purposes, he had a runaway plane until he
worked the problem!

No, you still had at least 2 ways to control the engine.

Sounds like OP had a good battery, something I would check then I
would've dialed the emergency frequency, tell tower my situation and
put myself into position for a 'dead-stick', mags-off.
It's a good case to practice some 'dead stick' landings. AFAIK you
should be able to kill the bird anyway in the circuit and dead stick.
That's how I was trained on a cessna-152.
Ken