Old September 3rd 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Electric Winch Project

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:43:10 PM UTC-4, Skypilot wrote:
I find all this stuff sexy, in Australia we all live in a bit of a
fantasy of energy, we export our LPG, Coal and Oil like it’s going
out of fashion and the “green” movements of our parties
ensure that subsidies and grants are available to clubs and
organisations for being green. My home club of Kingaroy would be a
perfect site to go for a huge grant for four elec whinches 2xmain and 2x
retrieve. The runway area is 2000m x100m of grass right next to a
bitumen runway, there is power available within 200m of both winch
sites. The only problem is the fact that it’s a certified runway
with probably 1-2 private movements per hour, so the local Shire council
are unlikely to approve winching. It’s a pity as there is a coal
mine 20km away and there is a planned coal mine next to the airstrip and
we have elections soon. If there was ever a time to pitch an alternative
to burning smelly dinosaur bones and reducing the noise foot print for
our solar powered sport now is it

I guess the panacea is to have an electric winch next to a battery bank