Old June 26th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Unpaved Landing areas

Unpaved doesn't necessarily mean wear and tear on the nosewheel. I've
been
landing my Cherokee on strips like these for more than a dozen yrs. and
have
never had any nosegear problems :

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/12f70900.jpg

That runway looks better marked than some of the "paved" runways I used...

I must admit that the only runways I use nowadays are simulated (can I
argue that they are "not paved" ;-) ). But back when Jimmy Carter was still
in office, I flew off grass regularly.

I assume that at least some people still do - when I look at the local
charts, there are still plenty of small grass strips around.

Note: I still do get to ride in real life on occasion, but I am so rusty
that there is no way I would attempt to land something like the T-18 or the
Pitts that I get rides in - I did attempt a takeoff in the T-18 at Eau
Claire WI a few years back - good thing the runway was 150 feet wide - I
needed every inch.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com