Old July 26th 17, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More Ximango Soaring

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:16:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 4:01:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
My flight yesterday...

https://youtu.be/uFTgSqcalus

Thanks for posting. The video held interest because this is my old stomping grounds and I have been enamored with the Ximango since seeing fly at Oshkosh about 20 years ago. If you were up for 4 hours you must have been having a good time. Your FB page shows tours available. Do you do Self Launch endorsements? I fly a pure glider but I have wanted to try a Touring glider because I occasionally fly point A-B in power and where I live the soaring season is not all that long so it gives me something to do.
Something I have noticed from asking around about Touring Motor Gliders over the years is that I have gotten a lot of really staunch opinion where pilots really trash certain makes and models of TMGs. I have not noticed this very much with pure gliders and it is too bad because a guy cannot just go out and rent a (Fill in the blank) motor glider and see for themselves.

I don't currently offer any training as I let my CFIG expire many years ago; however, I may get it reinstated at some time in the future. We give scenic rides primarily geared to the tourist industry in Palm Springs, but I do also take curious glider pilots up for longer cross-country soaring flights whenever I can. It's a real eye opener for many who wrongly believe TMGs to be incapable of serious soaring. The Ximango is very comfortable, achieves about a 26/1 glide ratio at 60 knots, and climbs well. Compared to modern pure sailplane, the performance is pitiful, but it is much better than a 1-26--and they are capable of flying hundreds of miles! Come for a ride if you find yourself in the Palm Springs area...