Old January 11th 04, 06:19 AM
Mike Ciholas

Default MU-2 ownership experience?

I'm in the throes of a big decision on my next airplane. One airplane
in consideration is an MU-2, probably a short body version from the
early to mid 1970s. I have been able to find detailed information,
gossip, opinions, local pilots, and so forth on my other candidate
types (like a Cessna 421C) but beyond what I read in the Buyer's Guide
books, I have no "feel" for the ownership experience of an MU-2.

In many ways, an MU-2 is my ideal airplane. Long range, fast, but
capable of short and rough fields. I don't put much weight on the
MU-2s reputation as being difficult to fly or dangerous. I'll get the
training I need to be safe in the airplane. I can deal with its
"unique" qualities. The performance is worth it.

I don't have a very good feel for the various vintages and options of
each model year, nor for the operating costs. You clearly have to
find a specialized shop for the maintenance and that goes for
training, too. I've never operated or owned a turbine aircraft, but
my experiences so far with turbocharged piston airplanes has not been
great. I get the feeling that buying the "wrong" MU-2 is a major
mistake. I need to understand what it means to do a hot section
inspection, what tricks to keep the airplane in shape, what things to
look out for, etc. I'd rather use someone else's experience than go
broke getting my own. :-)

So, do we have any MU-2 gurus out there? Anybody willing to provide
guidance? I'd love to visit an owner, see their airplane, and have a
good heart to heart about it so I can fairly judge the cost and
hassles of owning an MU-2. If anyone has good long term actual cost
numbers, I'd be most interested.

--
Mike Ciholas (812) 476-2721 x101
CIHOLAS Enterprises (812) 476-2881 fax