Old October 13th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Default Midway museum - San Diego

I was there two weeks ago. She is tied up just east of the cruise ship
berths, a Victory ship is also there and some harbor tour boats (I am
from CT but it appears to be in the NE part of the harbor, my SD nephew
drove, there is parking on the pier next to Midway as well as a block
away.) The walking tour with headsets starts in the hangar bay, goes
forward to the forecastle, back through the hangar bay, down to the mess
decks, an enlisted berthing space, one main machinery room, sick bay,
senior officers wardroom, chief's mess, back up to the hangar bay with a
gift shop and cafe on the fantail, up to the flight deck with many a/c,
small group tours to the island and bridge. Well worth the trip. I kept
comparing her to my Forrestal, not fair as the Midways started out as
converted BB hulls. At this stage in life, anything Navy or Naval Air
gets the adrenalin pumping and the memories flowing.
J.McEachen

mah wrote:
Had a convention flier hit my desk with things to do when not in
sessions. Listed the usual SD destinations in shopping, Balboa Park
(and its aviation museum), Sea World.

One new item was the Midway carrier museum. Where is it moored and what
has it to offer?

Yes, I know I could do a web search but some folks in the groups
probably were involved in some way.

Thanks in advance.

MAH