Old February 19th 17, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Why are side sticks unpopular in sailplanes

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:46:35 -0700, Bob Whelan wrote:

As a natural right-hander, I've often imagined adapting to a left-side
stick (think many powerplanes) would require far more "mental
adaptation" on my part than did adapting to my Zuni's right-side-stick.
Maybe some Airbus-driving glider pilots will chime in?

As a natural left-hander, I do most things left-handed. Yes, I built Free
Flight models with the timer on the left but the start trigger on the
right and I start engines left-handed. However, I had no problem learning
to fly gliders right-handed: that was a non-issue. These days I normally
fly right-handed and use my left for fiddling with instruments. I only
swap hands in the Libelle to raise or lower the wheel.

The only other thing I'm exclusively right-handed for is using cameras,
which all seem to be designed by right-handers for right-handers.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK