Old July 27th 05, 04:58 AM
Gordon Arnaut

Thanks, for the info, Rusty.

What gearbox are you using? It seems like overkill to put one of Tracy's
boxes -- or something similar -- on a single rotor.

I would think a belt drive might be engineered that would be considerably
lighter -- expecially if you use the poly-v belts.

Just to add about why rotaries aren't more popular -- a big reason is that
the auto industry is geared around the piston engine. The infrastructure of
suppliers and manufacturers is all predicated on that business model, so
there is a lot of inertia there and changing course is like trying to do a
U-turn in an aircraft carrier.

However the wankel engine has some incredible advantages, including
smoothness simplicity, ruggedness and power potential that truly puts it a
class above the piston engine. There is no question about that, as
rotary-powered race cars have proven over and over -- until they are banned
because they simply have an unfair advantage.

Regards,

Gordon.

"Bellsouth News Server" wrote in message
The basic engine with stock housings is about 120-125 lbs,

I meant go make it clear that this is without a redrive, or any other
engine accessories. The total installed weight will be somewhere around
220 lbs with stock housings, and the currently available (heavy,
overbuilt) redrives. The engine can make 100+ HP pretty easily, and much
more with a turbo.

Rusty