Old September 18th 04, 08:13 PM
C Kingsbury

wrote in message ...
In rec.aviation.owning Mike Rapoport wrote:

wrote in message

A lot of them are used to power natural gas compressors way out in the
middle of nowhere and reliability is much more important than fuel
efficiency and you have a large suitable fuel supply availible.

Large mobile electric generators are another common ground-based
application. Don't forget that weight and size are also relatively
unimportant in these applications, which makes a lot of engineering
problems much easier.

Given the high initial cost of turbines and the hgiher fuel comsumption, I
doubt that turbines would be competitive with gasoline engines given current
price differentials between the two fuels. The beauty of a diesel aircraft
engine is that it should cost the same as a gas engine, has fewer parts,
uses less fuel and lasts longer. The turbine engine is more reliable but
costs more and uses more fuel. The lower the hp the less competitive the
turbine gets against the diesel.

Your first sentence overlooks the fact that turbines are currently
competitive at the Caravan level, but I pretty much agree with the
rest.

Airplanes are designed around engines. Want to know what a
piston-powered Caravan looks like? It's called a Cessna 402.

The 'van is a pretty idiosyncratic plane- basically a flying box
truck. Great for hauling a heavy load a short distance into a small
strip. Sure, there's a bunch of rich boys out there flying them
around, too, but I suspect economics do not factor into their decision
in any way. The guys putting these things on amphibious floats with
executive interiors could probably afford to operate them even if they
only ran on vintage Champagne. A mainstream pilot can get a hell of a
lot more utility out of a SR-22 or 206 for probably 1/3rd or less of
the costs.

OK, let's say I buy into about 400hp as the "up to now" crossover point.

Given the current fuel cost differential, where would you expect that point
to move to assuming the engines were available?

Considering that all the aviation diesels are being built to run on
jet-A, I'd say it's going to stay right where it is.

The only compromise we have to make with the diesels is to give up a
little useful load, otherwise they are equal or better on all counts.
Why isn't that enough for everybody to be excited about?

Best,
-cwk.