Old September 19th 04, 05:49 AM
David Lesher

writes:

There were pickups.

A friend bought one new and had the engine blow at about 40k miles.

Thanks to California smog laws, he found his choices were replace it
with another new diesel (big bucks) or get an old gas engine and convert
it to propane and try to recover some of the investment. This was way
before 50k warranties.

Err, my friend bought the car from an office neighbor, after it had
been stolen and partially stripped. [Wheels, radio... He actually
drove it home on 4 borrowed space-saver spares...]

About a month before, the injector pump croaked. Amazingly, when it
arrived at the dealership on a towtruck, the speedometer said 49,986
miles. I disclaim any knowledge as to how that could have been.

They bitched, but put in a new pump under warranty. [By that time,
I suspected they rather all the OlsmoDiesels went to Burning Man or
similar.] I can't recall what was [not] covered, but that pump
was.

The Diesels that last, the Mercedes 240D, for example, are group-up
designs. And they do weigh more than gas blocks.

Any talk about Jet-A jelling sounds....bogus.. There's an ongoing
issue with DC-9's and 'cold-soak' of the fuel; causing icing
on short turn arounds. You'd think they'd suffer from any jelling
but...
--
A host is a host from coast to