Old September 10th 03, 04:48 AM
Tom S.

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
"Tom S." wrote in message

Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't think about
buying a relatively expensive, complex, everyday flyer that wasn't
either in current production or very well-supported concerning parts.

And that's why I asked to ascertain anyone's experience or objective
knowledge of their maintenance. As it is, I am pretty much eliminating

them
from my perspective list.

Tom,

Perhaps you have received additional information you're not sharing
here, but personally I wouldn't eliminate a plane I liked because some
folks on the net raised concerns about parts.

No, I have not other infor, but I did talk to my FBO's A&P, but he doesn't
work on them enough to form an opinion.

The real issue is: what do A&Ps with expertise and owners in the
type club say about parts? If those folks say there are problems,
there are problems. But I've heard the same "ding" re Grummans,
and typically it was either pilots speaking on general principles
(small production run, out of production at the time), or mechanics
who lacked experience w/ Grummans and didn't know who to call.

Good point. My partner has had 114B for the past 8 months, but has not had a
single problem with it, so that doens't help on the parts "issue".

Don't get me wrong, I have zippo experience with Commanders. I
just wouldn't eliminate a plane you have time in and like unless
I'd talked to the type club, or to a mechanic acknowledged as
knowledgeable in the type (he maintains more than 1 or 2).

The problem I foresee (as someone pointed out) is that with them in Chapter
11, even a previously good parts supply may suddenly vanish.

I do like the plane, and find it supurbly comfortable for my build (big in
the shoulders). No, it's not the fastest, but if I merely wanted _fast_, I'd
go with a Mooney. Unfortunately, though I love the feel and handling of a
Mooney, it's low/narrow cabin (hence, it's speed) just gives me a cramp. :~)

Could anyone point out where the Commanders Club :~) is to be found?

Regards,
Sydney