Old May 27th 04, 04:48 PM
David Megginson

Peter MacPherson wrote:

Anybody flown into CYUL(Dorval) lately? Thinking about heading up there for
the long weekend.
Any advice on FBO's and anything else would be appreciated. I'll be
departing from the Boston area.

I flew there a few weeks ago (and have gone there a few times in the past)
but I went directly to an avionics shop located at Propaire and didn't deal
with an FBO. Dorval (now named "Pierre Trudeau", but most of us choke on
that because Trudeau built Mirabel to try to replace Dorval) has no landing
fee and deals well with mixed airliner and GA traffic. There have been
frequent runway closings recently -- I'm not sure if they're repaving -- so
spend a little more time than usual with the NOTAMs. If you have to go over
to the main passenger terminal, make sure that you don't take a cab back to
the FBO: there's a minimum charge of CAD 15 or so for cabs leaving from the
main terminal, even if it's a 5-minute drive.

You might also want to consider St. Hubert instead of Dorval: it has a tower
and an ILS, it's closer (coming from Boston), and it's outside of the main
Dorval traffic flow, so you're not likely to be vectored around. The FBO I
used was quite friendly and you're about the same distance from downtown
Montreal (if I recall correctly). Traffic at St. Hubert is mainly bizjets
and light aircraft.

All the best,

David