Old September 5th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

Default Collision Avoidance

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:12:53 AM UTC-7, K wrote:
I am going to be setting up a new (TO me) glider panel during our fast approaching off season. Standard category if it matters and two of the things on the list are PowerFlarm and a Transponder. From talking to some people (Suppliers and other pilots) there are a few who are doing either or, and one who is forgoing the installation of a TX for a PF. Am I missing something? I have always thought you needed both the TX and PF. Have been flying with PF and so far it is doing a good job of detecting TX equipped gliders and power planes.

As Dave said, it depends on where you fly. I got a transponder because the airline traffic into/out of McCarren Int'l is intense, and often flies right through the routes into/out of Jean. Before I installed a transponder, I often spent a good part of the first hour of each flight dodging heavies. I rarely see another glider, and the GA traffic is well below me.