Old October 24th 04, 11:30 PM
Aardvark

Chuck wrote:

Don't know if there are many NASCAR fans here, but one of the teams planes
crashed today.

Right now there seems to be some conflict of the names of the passengers,
but here is one of the news stories.

Hendrick Motorsports plane crashes, police say
05:32 PM EDT on Sunday, October 24, 2004

By DANIELLE SCHULMAN / WCNC.com

A Hendrick Motorsports Aviation plane headed to the Subway 500 in
Martinsville, Virginia, has crashed in the Bull Mountain area of Virginia,
state police there confirm.

"The plane was en route to Martinsville and they lost it on radar and that's
all the information we have," said one NASCAR official. "We've been in
contact with Rick Hendrick.we just don't have a lot of details at the
moment.we are going to say a prayer for everyone in the Hendick
organization."

Rick Hendrick was not on the plane, say NASCAR officials.

Several high-placed sources inside NASCAR confirm these passengers on the
plane: Tony Stewart's helicopter pilot (who was not piloting the plane), two
people who were piloting the plane, John Hendrick (Rick Hendrick's brother),
Ricky Hendrick, Randy Dorton and his two daughters.

The FAA and NTSB are investigating.

Bull Mountain lies to the west of Martinsville in the foothills of the Blue
Ridge Mountains.

Hendrick Motorsports Aviation is based out of Concord, N.C.

A pilot for the company says that they own about 11 or 12 planes. The pilot
says he was still waiting to hear what happened and that he had heard
something had happened.

Those planes fly all over the country, he said.

The airport the plane was heading into is called the Blue Ridge Airport and
is eight miles southwest of Martinsville.

This airport is much smaller than the Charlotte-Douglas International
Airport, with only two runways.

There is no control tower in the immediate area. The planes that fly into
airport are supposed to get clearance to land from Greensboro. About 62
flights per day land at the airport.

updated often
http://jayski.thatsracin.com/cupnews.htm

N.C. TV station