Old October 26th 04, 07:12 AM
Jay Beckman

"Dave S" wrote in message
ink.net...
"quote" on CNN's news article on 10/25/04 about the crash...

paste of copywrighted material

Driver Rusty Wallace, also a pilot, said he considered the airports in
Talladega, Ala., and Martinsville the two most dangerous facilities to fly
into for races.

end paste

Anyone care to comment on this, or what exactly he might be referring to.
For the sake of this issue, lets assume that he was not misquoted nor
paraphrased by some well meaning journalist.

Dave,

Talladega: Mix smoke from 100,000+ camping race fans with a narrow temp /
dew point spread and toss in the very close proximity of the runway to the
main grandstand of the track. I know I'd be (as we say in racing...) "up on
the wheel."

As for Martinsville, I have only flown in there once on a CAVU morning at
sunrise. It's a very nice airport but the surrounding terrain is quite
hilly which is probably not a good thing when you are shooting an approach
in actual IMC.

The news of the crash certainly put a damper on what was already a cruddy
week (WX wise...) in Martinsville.

My prayers go out to the Hendrick family and the families of the others who
were on board.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL