Old March 27th 04, 04:54 PM
David Kinsell

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message ...
What exactly are you asking? IGC files created from gps-nav data inherently
do not and cannot have verifiable security. There's no fix for that other
than

David, I did not closely follow the thread you mention but will now. I recall
reading one message mentioning doing the DOS fix, or something like that, and a
website somewhere that mentioned something similar.

My concern is whether the GPS NAV can still be used for badge flights ( up to
and including 1000k), not world records. I have SeeYou as my primary data
manager and would be using it to upload waypoints and tasks to the GPS NAV and
to download the flight log. I guess my question is, should I have any specific
concerns about the validity of this procedure? Thanks.

There's a change effective April 1 removing world record flights from being
eligible, but that doesn't affect you. The information on approvals is readily
available at www.fai.org/gliding

You just have to remember that it's critical to include the .cai file with a badge
application. The pseudo-igc files can be created at any time, and by anybody.

One of our more prolific r.a.s contributors recently beat his head against the
wall when trying to validate igc files from a gps-nav, using SeeYou. He says
sometimes it showed valid security, sometimes it didn't. If that's true, then
there's a significant bug in SeeYou, since any igc file like that should be flagged
as invalid. You can just view .cai files directly with SeeYou and avoid the issue.

Dave