Old April 27th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default DA 42 accident

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:29 pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
Like Dylan, I have found the automotive ECMs to be far more reliable in
service than the old breaker ignition systems. [...]

grin That's because neither of you have had a failure yet. I've
had automotive computer systems fail due to cold solder joints, part
failures, sensor failures. Even had a transmission computer decide
to go into limp mode just because a sensor glitched for a few
seconds. If I were out in the woods, I'd much rather have old-style
points act up, than have a computer failure.

(Throttle positioning sensors don't count... the throttle is still
mechanical in that case.)

Mind you, every day I'm glad that my vehicles start instantly because
of electronic engine aids. But I'm not so happy about my wif'e's Land
Rover with fully electronic gas pedal. It's already had a recall
because the software could glitch and go into full throttle mode.
Yes, that could happen mechanically as well, but that you can fix
yourself on the side of the road!

And as I've opined before, I'm not looking forward to cars with fully
electronic brake pedals and steering wheels. shiver Not in my
lifetime, anyway ;-)

Regards, Kev

There are a lot of new "features" that can keep me driving and flying the
old ones as well. And I am just about old enough to make that a viable
option--expecially for aircraft.

Peter