Old April 20th 21, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Luxury Tax on Gliders in Canada

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 11:37:20 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Seems like we got what we voted for. Suck it up, Cupcake.

What was that I learned in history class? Something about not knowing
about history and having to repeat it?

Dan
5J
On 4/19/21 4:58 PM, wrote:
Today, the Canadian government announced that a new luxury tax (Italian style) will be implemented Jan 1st, 2022. The tax applies to vehicles retailing for CDN$100,000 (equivalent to US$80,000) at the rate of 10% on total price or 20% on price over CDN$100,000, whichever is less. The sales tax of 13% in Ontario, applies to the total price marked up by the luxury tax! The luxury tax applies to cars, aircraft and boats (at CDN$250,000), but what was amazing (in a bad way) is that they singled out gliders specifically in the announcement yet I’ll bet that far less than 10 new gliders are sold in Canada each year. Seems like the politicians like their boats - no other way to explain the difference for them.

Be aware Dan, the same thing could be happening here soon with the goof and bimbo in office. Old Bob