Old December 6th 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default P-51 - An American Ambassador Remembered

"Private" wrote in message
http://www.rense.com/general69/p51.htm

Happy landings,

It's a beautiful sentiment.
Believe it or not, I've actually lived an exact duplication of this scenario
more than a few times in my life.
No matter where I was with our P51, the request was always the same; a low
pass and a roll or two before departing the area.
I complied wherever and whenever I could, if time and fuel permitted.
I always felt that when this happened I was just a player. The 51 and indeed
the Merlin sound are one of the most recognizable combinations in all of
aviation. I don't think I ever met anyone seriously involved with flying who
wouldn't admit to having a life long love affair with the airplane.
To many of the people that I met at the fields on these stops en route to
and coming from the air displays I flew, their request would be their once
in a lifetime chance to be so close to the airplane.
Most of all I remember the kids the most. In every face I saw myself at that
age.
I think I enjoyed those little impromptu small airport climbing rolls more
than any displays I ever flew.
Dudley Henriques