Old November 4th 03, 04:41 PM
robert arndt

"Chris Spierings" wrote in message ...
Does anyone happen to know what the airfoil used on the 30s era Handley Page
Harrow was? A friend is scratch building a model of one and would like to
use the scale airfoil.

Thanks

Chris

Which Harrow are you talking about- the HP31 torpedo carrier or HP54
bomber? I don't know about the airfoil question but the HP54 in 1940
was used as an aerial minelayer in operation "Pandora". These aircraft
carried LAMs (Long Aerial Mines) which were small explosives on
parachutes that trailed a 2,000 ft piano wire. They were dropped in
front of the German bombers and at least 5 kills were made before the
idea was scrapped.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd throw in
that little known information anyway.
Good luck.

Rob

p.s. The Germans also tried out the suspended cable bomb idea during
the war as well as fighters dropping bombs directly over the bomber
streams (some of which were fitted with acoustic sensors and guidance
systems to steer them onto target). Concrete bombs were tested as
well...