Old February 16th 05, 02:37 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:51:15 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"...if you start a NON-precision approach (including a LOC-only) and fail

start the timer (or note the time), it's a major boo-boo. Your only

recourse
is to immediately go missed and start it over. If you perform an approach
where timing is required, and you do not time it, it's a good bust on a
checkride, for that is compounding an error with stupidity."

First of all, we were talking about holds, not approaches.

Secondly, given the prevalence of DME and GPS, you have to be an idiot
to rely on timing when more accurate measurements are available,

My handheld GPS is far more accurate and reliable than your Radio
Shack stopwatch.

Agreed. The article only addresses _timing_ anything.

Many folks are still flying via the 1930's technology/mindset.