Old April 17th 05, 08:57 PM
Peter R.

Michael 182 wrote:

Is there a simple way to program the Garmin to handle in-flight route
instructions such as :

"Pass 10 miles N of XYZ at 10,000 ft" or "Continue inbound to ABC, then the
131 radial to DEF..."

You can use either the NAV1 page or the FlightPlan1 page for this: Just
before reaching XYZ and assuming XYZ is the waypoint to which you are
currently navigating, roll your OBS to the 360 degree radial, then hit the
GPS's OBS button. This will suspend waypoint sequencing and give you your
distance from XYZ. The CDI will provide you the reference to remain on 360
degree radial.

Scan the NAV1 or Flightplan1 page for the distance you have flown from XYZ.

When you have crossed the 10 NM as determined by NAV1 or FLightplan1 page,
then hit the OBS button to cancel OBS mode and return to waypoint
sequencing. You may have to use the flight plan page and cursor down to
the next waypoint, followed by the DIRECT-TO button.

I would recommend downloading and installing the free GNS430 simulator,
then trying this out:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gns430/#

You also could experiment with this during a VFR day using a nearby VOR.

I can make user waypoints, but it seems a little slow and awkward,
especially in hard IFR. Any tricks?

I have done this for my home class C airport, where they commonly will
issue the following instruction to IFR and some VFR aircraft approaching
from the west:

"Fly direct to the SYR VOR, depart SYR VOR on the 090 degree radial"

--
Peter