Old December 17th 04, 04:13 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:49:58 -0600, "Bob Johnson"
wrote:

I'd like to find out more about this record -- they claim to be acheiving
about 50% line length release altitude in almost a dead calm 1 m/s (2.5 Kt).

Well... I've seen all these launches... and there was always lot of
headwind, usually at least 20 kts.

Our 5000 ft (1500 m) Spectra line weighs only 66 lb (30 kg) and we release
at about 1700 ft. (520 m), not all that much better than the steel line we
used to use -- this "Hoistline" must have something going for it besides
light weight!

I guess Lippman quotes some false numbers. Having used a steel rope
and a the plastic rope on the same winch fpr one year, the plastic
rope did not have a significant advantage concerning achievable height
(between 100 ft for an ASK-21 and at maximum 300 ft for a Ka-8).

In my opnion the advantage es the handling, not in the launch heights.

Bye
Andreas