Old March 1st 04, 12:56 AM
MRQB

Well the seller should not be rude when you ask the basic questions that is
if he wants to sell the airplane. Myself I am not going to pay an A & P
until I know that I want the airplane and I am ready for the pre buy
inspection. I have learned a lot by asking questions and talking with A &
P's to go look if I like what I see and ever thing looks ok, I will have an
A & P go look ever thing over everything at the pre buy. A seller should not
attack you when you tell them that your not going to buy. I wonder what he
would have done if I asked him to move it out of his shop in his back yard
of his mobile home over to my A & P's hanger for a pre buy inspection
probably would have shot me.

"S Green" wrote in message

"MRQB" wrote in message
But would you buy someones airplane with logs that have been modified or
things removed?

It like buying antiques or works of art. Buying planes is all about
establishing provenance. If there are gaps in the records one needs to

ask
why. If the books have been altered again one needs to ask why.

In buying a plane one needs to think the worst. Why are they getting rid

of
it? If its is such a good plane why sell? How long have they had it?

Take nothing at face value and go through the logs with a fine tooth comb,
and take your own A& P.

Unfortunately aviation is one area where I have to reverse my principles.
Normally, I trust someone unless or until I have reason not to. In buying
planes, its the other way.

The saddest thing is finding something which even the seller did not know
and which trashes his aircraft and his dream. They sometimes take it out

on
you when if they had been more thorough they would have bought something
else.

My only reservation with Matthew sending stuff over the internet is that
some dirtbag could copy his work and create false records for another
airplane.

sg