Old October 28th 04, 02:01 PM
OtisWinslow

Any time you're controlling the plane solely by reference to instruments.

"Brenor Brophy" wrote in message
Last weekend I flew my first Angel Flight from MRY down to SMO. There was
the remnants of a cold front that passed through the day before between
the Bay Area and LA so there was plenty of clouds hanging around, mostly
build-ups over the mountains with tops 90 to 110 and some lower layers
BKN30. So I was in and out of IMC most of the trip, maybe 1 minute here, 5
minutes there and so on. Now, I didn't have a trusty Co-Pilot or CFII to
keep track of time and not having an auto-pilot I was focused on keeping
the dirty side of the plane pointing down inside the bumpy clouds - not
noting the hobbs time :-)

Afterwards I just guessed about how long I was in the clouds and logged
0.6 actual out of 5.8 hours flying time. I was wondering what everyone
else does in this kind of situation ? A gut feel estimate of time, or
actually track it, if so then how ?

-Brenor