Old March 30th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Default Winds on approach

Let's see, Tim...you do carry IFR reserves, right? So you should have enough
for the approach plus what it takes to get to an alternate plus 45 minutes?
Where does the risk of fuel come in?

Bob Gardner

"Tim" wrote in message
Is that FAA or air carrier rule?

That does not mean it is a bad thing.
It seems to me that abandoning an approach with the risk of fuel and worse
weather is worse.

Bob Moore wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote

Conventional wisdom (as I see it) is to execute a miss if you lose the
glideslope, go around, prepare and brief the localizer approach, then
do it. Changing horses in midstream is not wise policy, especially in
the clouds and close to the ground. YMMV, but I'll never teach or
advocate the switch.

Nor do Part 121 Aircarriers permit their aircrews to change-over.

Bob Moore