Old March 14th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

However it seems the used marketplace is overflowing with good gliders at
reasonable prices even less than $25,000. Why aren't more pilots buying
these ships?

Been pondering the same question ever since 1st-generation glass and I showed
up on the soaring scene at roughly the same time...

Elsewhere in the thread others have cogently commented on factors impacting
current-production costs and (non-)growth of soaring, so below is an
off-the-top-of-my-head list of possible contributors specifically to the above
question:

- human nature (the common perception that newer is always better)
- ignorance (who systemically touts older ships?)
- Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt (old = structurally dodgy; lousy performance; higher
maintenance costs; harder to fly; etc.)

As a cheap, low-use-impact, non-greenie, cost/mission-driven weirdo myself, I
suppose with the money not spent over the years required to maintain "the
latest and greatest things" in my toy collection, I could've eventually
splurged on today's latest Gee-WhizBang Mark IV self-launching international
record breaker, but no way could that have been possible throughout all of my
soaring participation.

Bob W.