Old March 18th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

So Tom, you're another one of those weak dicks that can't make a decent
flight without an engine to bolster your courage, eh?

Oh, wait! Didn't you fly a 1,000 km triangle in your ASW-20 quite some
time ago? 8-)

On 3/17/2017 9:04 PM, wrote:
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 7:32:44 PM UTC-7, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
To my point, if a retrieve Crew is far cheaper than being a glider equipped with a
landing prevention option, then why do pI lots make the investment. Psychologically
they are more comfortable flying with that extra option!

That's at the end of the day...

A motorglider also provided me the ability to take a tow early and if it didn't work yet, I'd start the engine over the airport and make another try. Had I landed to take another tow, I'd be in line behind several others. Of course, I could also buy myself a towplane and always be first in line. Oh wait, there's a towplane a couple feet behind my head.

Once on course, I pretty much never gave the motor a thought.

After 15 years flying the ASH-26E, I now have an ASW-27b. The gliders have pretty much equal performance so it will be interesting to see if my flights are any different now that I don't have an engine.

5Z

--
Dan, 5J