Old August 10th 05, 03:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

What would the point of this in a small plane be if not reversing?

My understanding is that the beta range is descriptive of the pitch
settings below "flight idle" in turboprop engines.

For instance, on a King Air, flight idle provides enough thrust to go 80
kts or something like that down the runway (or taxiway) (repeating
heresay, not speaking factually)..

Placing the props into the beta range allows selection of a ground idle
setting, that keeps the pilot from having to ride the brakes on the
ground.

Selecting beta range (thrust below flight idle is how I am defining it) in
flight could result in too-rapid a descent.

In piston engines I suspect this is not as major of an issue, as you can
throttle the engine down to reduce power.

To repeat about the Ivo, based on your assumption that beta means
reversing.. the IVO does NOT reverse.

You were right. I looked at the WoodComp and the IVO at about the same time
a couple of months ago. The WoodComp does reverse.

I have a feeling the OP, like myself was confusing Beta with Reverse. So my
original answer to him was half right.