Old March 2nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default FAA to be phasing out "position and hold" in the US

I was listening to Palm Spring (PSP) on the Internet when someone ask if he
could taxi into portion and hold? The controller said "We don't do that
anymore."

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:50:58 -0500, "Peter R." wrote:

I just received an email from my FBO, who received word from ATC at our
class C airport, that the FAA is phasing out the "position and hold"
instruction "to try to curb the runway incursions and controller errors."

At my home base, which is a class C airport in Syracuse, NY, the
elimination of this instruction could occur as soon as March 20th.

From the wording of the email, apparently this has already happened at
Philadelphia International and will probably sweep the country this spring.
The triple runway incursion at LAX last week seems to have hastened this
move.

While the traffic at our airport is light to moderate, I am curious how
this will impact airports like La Guardia or Boston Logan, two airports
where the P&H instruction definitely speeds up departures.

GeorgeC