Old September 27th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

Default Rod ends in single shear

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:33:05 -0700, wrote:

aileron rod, I do not think it sees much load at all--certainly far,
far short of it's rated load. I have seen several planes out there
with rod ends in single shear, so it can't be complete suicide . . .
right? No?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I have a number of them that have been in service for over 20 years,
all with the large washer. Works for me.

Ed Sullivan, Jungster II

Long as teh arm and bolt are stiff enough not to deform - who cares...

The single arm may not have the resistance to twisting that
the two arms do together. You'd want to compare single-arm setups with
what you have. An arm that allows twisting will eventually fail or
might allow enough aileron play to start flutter. Both are bad news.

Dan

As long as the uiball is tight against the bell crank or horn there
will be no play.

:Ed