Old June 27th 18, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default When gliders fail in flight, but pilots manage to land

Not picking......just commenting.

While I hate to think of a control failure in flight, a thread like this may prompt others to try "stupid stuff" at altitude.
I don't know who said it first (maybe one of the Wrights?), don't stop flying until all motion has ended!
Basically, even if a wrong input, keep trying something until things stop. Keep trying "pilot ****" until things stop moving.
A semi controlled crash is way better than an uncontrolled crash.

Only comment is a pilot (decades ago in NJ) that landed a SEL powered plane (on a golf fairway) and drove it between 2 trees. His comment, "I heard shedding the wings was a good thing in a crash".
They could have refueled, taken off, gone to the local airport.
Whatever.

Yes, this is a good thread, may make peeps think a bit.
May.