Old July 27th 03, 01:17 PM
Steve House

"Icebound" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

..... Real weather? One of the add-ins
available is a package called ActiveSky that accesses the NOA and

NavCanada
weather systems via the Internet

FS2004 will have its own 15 minute updates to realtime weather, if you
want it.

So I hear - there was real world weather in 2000 as well but it used a
server dedicated to flight sim, alas not updated as often as it could have
been nor with as complete info as it could have had. I'm not sure if
they're still using that server system in 2004 or are going with a real time
link to NOAA, ActiveSky was different from FS's stock weather in that it
was going straight to the horse's mouth, as it were, getting its info direct
from NOAA's own servers for the reporting stations closest to the airplane's
current position. Was amazing to turn on my scanner and listen to ATIS from
the airport, then tune the ATIS frequency on Flight Sim's radio and hear
essentially the same info minus the NOTAMS. About the only difference was
FS always made the longest runway active with wind only affecting the
direction of takeoff but I've heard that's been fixed in 2004 to pick the
runway heading closest to the wind when there's more than one and making it
the active.