Old March 22nd 04, 11:48 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
('Vejita' S. Cousin) wrote:

To my line of thinking people have a right to live in an area free of
excessive noise. The equestion becomes what's excessive?

A huge obstacle is this type of discussion is the fact
that people's perception/recognition of noise is not
rational/logical in that the volume of the sound is not the
main determining factor of whether or not a sound is called
noise.

For example, consider the noise of a dripping faucet (which is
in reality is pretty quiet). It can keep people awake, but
the same people can sleep through louder sounds. We also
have a sensitivity to the importance of sounds (e.g., a telephone
might wake us up quicker than a louder sound).

--
Bob Noel